On busy nights, I’m all for something quick and easy and this recipe falls into that mold. The bonus, it makes a lot, which leaves enough sauce to make another family favorite—Lazy Day Lasagna.
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Sauté vegetables and garlic in olive oil until onions are soft and transparent. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasonings and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for twenty minutes.
This sauce can also be placed in a crockpot and slow-cooked all day for an easy dinner after a long day at work. Leftovers freeze well.
Variation: Add one pound of browned hamburger, meatballs or a bag of soy crumbles to sauce, then simmer.