As a reminder—everything in these articles is opinion, not necessarily fact. Just because a technique has worked for me doesn’t mean it’s THE WAY to write or that it’ll work for you. Becoming a writer is an ever-evolving process. I keep learning, so it’s possible that I may contradict myself in different articles. As always, take what works and drop the rest.
- Decisions: Revving the Story Engine
- Pacing for Impact
- CONFLICT: Where’s the Meat?
- MOTIVATION: The Why Of Story
- THAT LOVIN’ FEELING: Putting Emotions On The Page
- Once Upon a Time…Setting up a Story Plan
- EVERY HERO NEEDS A FRIEND: Or the Importance of Secondary Characters
- LEAP OF FAITH: Fall or Fly
- THEME AS A CRUCIBLE FOR CHANGE: Or How to Cut a Brilliant Diamond
- Magic Moments
- A GOOD BAD GUY: Or How To Take Your Villain Out Of His Cardboard Box And Make Him 3-D
- IT’S MY WORLD: How Perception Affects Action
- HURTS SO GOOD: Making Your Characters Suffer to Heal Them
- The Power of Structure