Here’s a recipe that creates a link between fall and the holidays—an apple-cranberry crumble with a maple twist. Let the sweet-tart aroma invite company to join you at the supper table.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup maple sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons apple or cranberry juice
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spray an 8 X 8 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, then add the apple slices and cranberries. Mix and turn into prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, maple sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the oil and juice. Add the juice mixture to the oat mixture and stir until crumbly. Sprinkle over the apple and cranberries.
- Bake for 35 minutes until bubbly and starting to brown. Serve warm or chilled.