These cookies have a strong bite of ginger and are the signature cookie for the Candlelight Inn in Christmas by Candlelight. The Candlelight Inn is one of twelve stops of local inns that participate in the region’s Cookie Tour. Not only do visitors get to see some of the beautiful New Hampshire countryside, they go home with a tinful of cookies.
Emma’s Ginger Wishing Star Cookies
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- ¼ cup light molasses
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tbsp. ground ginger
- ½ tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- ¼ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- gold decorating sugar
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl until creamy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine flour, baking soda and all three gingers in small bowl. Stir into butter mixture. Divide the dough in half; shape into disks. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 F. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to ¼-inch thickness. Cut out stars. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets. Gather scraps, refrigerate and reroll for more cookies. Chill cookies 10 minutes to firm.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire racks. While the cookies are still warm, sprinkle with the decorating sugar.
- Makes about 2-4 dozen stars, depending on the size of the cookie cutter.