Grady’s Coconut Cake was the one dish his sisters requested he make for family dinners in One Texas Night. My kids learned early that the one sure way of having cookies and cakes around was to bake them themselves. This coconut cake is one of their favorite recipes for a quick and tasty treat.
Grady’s Coconut Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter an 8 X 8 square cake pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Use an electric mixer in a large bowl to beat the butter and sugar together until well blended. Add the eggs, vanilla and almond extract, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Sprinkle in half of the flour mixture and pour in half the milk. Beat until well blended. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk. Stir in the coconut.
- Scrape into a prepared pan and bake 40-45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack (at least 2 hours.)
From One Texas Night
View my Catalog of Books