I’m not overly fond of the taste of commercial energy bars. I was happy to discover these. They’re easy to make and convenient to carry while backpacking. Sabriel carries these bars when he goes hiking in Spirit of a Hunter.
Sabriel’s Energy Bars
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup of your favorite crunchy cereal
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or vanilla powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9 X 13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the oats, cereal and sesame seeds out on an ungreased cookie sheet and toast for about 10 minutes. Cool slightly, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the apricots, raisins, almonds, wheat germ, and protein powder. Mix well.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown rice syrup, stirring until bubbly. Mix in the almond butter and cinnamon. Pour into the dry ingredients and quickly mix together and transfer to the prepared pan. Press the mixture into the pan and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Cut into 12 bars and wrap each one separately in wax paper. Store in the refrigerator.
From Spirit of a Hunter
View my Catalog of Books