I’m trying not to bake, so I’ve watched too many baking shows this summer. “Kitchen Crime Scene” has proved a guilty pleasure. On the show, a group of bakers look at the clues left behind in a kitchen to figure out what dessert was baked. The team who comes closest to the actual dessert wins the round.
One week, the clues should have led the bakers to bake a red, white and blue velvet cake. I was gobsmacked. I had no clue you could make a velvet cake other than red. My daughter’s birthday was around the corner, so I decided to make her a white velvet cake. Because I can’t seem to leave a recipe alone, I ended up making strawberry-filled white velvet cupcakes.
Strawberry-Filled White Velvet Cupcakes
- ½ cup solid coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- strawberry jam, for surprise centers
- 12 strawberries
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- ½ cup chopped nuts, toasted (I used macadamia)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line a 12-cupcake pan with paper liners.
- For Cake: With mixer, cream the coconut oil and the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time. Gradually beat in salt and flour.
- Add vanilla and buttermilk to the batter. In a small bowl, pour vinegar over soda. After it fizzes, stir and add to the batter.
- Divide the batter into prepared cupcake pan. Bake about 10-12 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Once cool, cut a small hole on the cupcake top. I used a tiny spoon to scoop out a small cap. Add a teaspoon of strawberry jam in the hole. Fit the “cap” back on the cupcake. You may need to tear a bit off the cap so the jam has room.
- For Frosting: Cook flour, milk and vanilla in a double boiler, stirring constantly until thick. Cool. In another bowl, cream sugar and butter at high speed until fluffy. Add cooled, cooked mixture and blend until the icing is fluffy. Mix in coconut.
- Frost cake. Scatter toasted nuts over top. Decorate with a whole strawberry.